Monday, September 14, 2015

Wrestling with objects in a wonderland of white.




Wrestling with objects in the wonderland of white. After many years of doing crazy stuff in the out of doors I have slowed down a bit and decided to blog about life’s adventures. I always wondered why I liked to find the next rush of adrenaline and yet I didn’t care much for the cold. Tubes, boards, sleds, and yes an old car hood or two made for some serious fun. I’m reminded of a few good stories we read and shared at the condo in the hills from Patrick McManus. I remember he called some things a pleasant misery in his stories of the wonders of life. I can honestly say I cuddled up in fast motion to my share of brush and trees. Some serious things happen when you have your feet tightly fastened to items of sure death and destruction. Yes I play hooky many a good day of school to carve the fresh laid white on the hills. Large many of us were called “The out of control ski patrol” and “The rag time ski team”. It’s hard to stay away from the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat. Racing the gates on the NASTAR and trying for air from the ledges. The snow snakes and bogies loomed about waiting for their shot at us and laughing when they did. Yet even when we found ourselves face down in the cold white we always found the need to jump back in for more. In the end we always could place the blame of this insanity on our well meaning mother. Snow skiing was a kind of way of life for her growing up in the Doner area of the Cali. This craziness has spread for years from Mom to kids, grandkids, great grandkids, and on and on….. Even on those times that we didn’t head to the mountains, we found snow and a large slide in the yard to challenge us. Yes it is a family that relishes in the crazy and not limited to just the boys.



No comments:

Post a Comment