Saturday, November 7, 2015

Agency and Choices




Agency and Choices

We are all given a gift called agency. What we do with our gift is what defines us. We can choose to follow laws whether they are of nature, God, man, or governments. Some laws if not adhered to bring with them painful if not fatal consequences. Some of these consequences are not so easily seen for a fair part of our lives. We sometimes pass the consequences down for others to deal with for some generations to come. There is another part of us as humans. We are natural in our actions, desires, passions, and thoughts. It has been reference many times as the natural man (Mosiah 3:19). We very often use this natural man part of us in our use of agency and carry out actions that trap us. Too often when we get trapped we want to justify our actions to displace our thinking and conscience to change how we feel. For example if we run for a few miles knowing we are out of physical condition and nearly pass out. Then we say we will never do that again ever because we almost died. Then tell ourselves we didn't die so we should do it again but the same time remembering how stupid we may have been the first time. We try to justify our actions but question ourselves at the exact same time. Consider the actions we may justify for any given reason. Addictions, thievery, murder, lasciviousness, and riotous living to name a few. We can justify ourselves to hell and back from our actions but it doesn't make them right or correct. 



Having had a very personal connection with addictions I know justifying the actions that come with them. We try to say it is OK and hurts no one else but seeing the picture from inside the frame we don't get it. I have pondered much about the challenges we each have in this life. Granted we all think ours is the worst and maybe the hardest. Think about any and all that we could have to face it is what we do in life with those challenges and how we use our agency that defines the type of person we are. I add to this the challenge for some of same gender attraction. Some would say wait a minute but I was born that way. Good point and I was born with the challenge of being a substance addict. Some may also voice I can't help it, it is what I am. Yes that maybe true, once an addict always an addict. I ask can we be better as a person. Or must we give in to the natural man and be something less than what we can be. Are those that give in to the natural man horrible persons? No. The definer is if we act upon it. We are all children of a loving God that must learn to except that we are not in any way close to perfect. But we can and should not look past the fact that we can still be so much more than we are. For me to just give in to the over thinking of things and say I'm an addict and cannot be anything greater than that. Thinking also that all I can be is a mere junkie is selling me short of the top of the mountain. Those who say we don't have a choice are selling a short load on truck bigger than they want to load by themselves. The path of life is hard and when traveled alone has darkness, fear, uncertainty, and challenges that look so ominous we couldn't possibly get past them. I have walked on the dark side of the fence. I have felt darkness of soul, depression, fear, shame, feelings of uselessness, and those feelings of giving up life. Having been there and knowing what I know now and the hope that fills me rather than fear. I much prefer to hold to the rod of iron that follows the path to the tree of life and yes liberty. Holding to the rod will not be easy and not popular but safe in knowing what God wants of me. We are all given a choice but cannot always choose the consequences and extent of those consequences whether good or bad. We are also given multiple opportunities to change. The power of the atonement extends far beyond repentance.



 Don't ever think that making a choice is final and you have no way to choose differently because nothing is final. And I know that everything will be in some way made right in the next phase of our existence. The imperfections I have now will be made whole and perfect. My pains and character flaws will be taken. But some of that may in part depend on me and the choices I make to overcome them as best I can in this life. Yes life is not fair nor should it be. We are here to test our agency and to choose. When we act with our agency in a correct manor we find blessings. When we act with our agency against correctness we find pain and disappointment. It is easy to see that picture when you have stood on both sides of the fence. Siding with modern day Prophets and Apostles will always leave little room for doubt.





No comments:

Post a Comment